Friday, October 06, 2006

7th Edition of Festival of Under 30 Finances! (let's hope I don't screw it up)

Ah, once again - I am HARDLY doing this carnival justice, so forgive me. My question for this edition was:
What method have you found works best when changing jobs and negociating a higher salary and/or benefits? What are the deal makers or breakers for you?

The responses I received were pretty helpful. Unfortunately everyone couldn't answer, but thanks to those who did!

HC: Well, my method for getting a better job was to go to grad school, but that obviously doesn't work for everyone. I will say that I had several competing offers come in at the same time, and was therefore able to get a salary boost from my ultimate employer. So my advice would be not to settle too much on one dream job, because several offers give one room to negotiate. As far as deal makers and breakers, I do want a relatively flexible leave policy. It's so important to be able to take time to care for one's family. Obviously salary and the usual benefits matter a lot, but if it comes down to a place that will allow me to take extra leave and one that won't, I'll go with the one that will.

Kira: Well, being awesome has always been my basic strategy for securing higher pay. Be better than everyone else - and be worth the higher salary. It won't strain your relationship with a future boss to say, "I'd like to ask for $X+5k, can you accommodate that?" Just gotta be a little bit brave...

Susan: After far too much exposure to awful resumes, I think that what many young people need to work on first is ensuring that their resume is good--it's really the first step. You can have the best interviewing and negotiating skills around, but the resume's still what gets you in the door.

Laura: A good strategy that I have heard but not yet used myself is to ask that your salary requirement be met after 6 months if the company is not willing to meet it initially. Your employer feels secure that they don't have to pay up if you're doing a bad job and you get the salary you want after a short wait.

Now for the GOODS!

Wenchypoo presents Maintenance Makes Up for Low Price posted at Wisdom From Wenchypoo's Mental Wastebasket.

HC presents One Big Mortar Board: Well, that's one way to avoid student loans posted at One Big Mortar Board.

Kira presents Penny Foolish: The one issue I don't have with Robert Kiyosaki posted at Penny Foolish.

Spender presents Change can be more than you think posted at Spending Less.

Susan presents The Grown-Up Resume posted at Am I Grown Up Yet?

David presents Budgeting In Your Twenties posted at Money Under 30.

Katie presents A finance website can’t say that! posted at Aridni.

David presents My 25 ways to save money-the small things add up! posted at The Good Human.

Bill presents Your Own Business posted at Ask Uncle Bill.

Bryan C. Fleming presents Counting Cold Hard Cash posted at Bryan C. Fleming .com.

Jeff Plumb presents The Buck Stops Here » Online Savings Accounts posted at The Buck Stops Here.

Jeremie Beaudry presents How Short Term Goals Make Long Term Results posted at eFIPO Finance and Politics for the Younger Generation.

Tyler presents How to Choose Dividend Growth Stocks posted at Skinny Investor.

Laura presents I got a raise! posted at Then Things.

HeJustLaughs presents Why reinsurance companies like MRH are the place to be posted at HJL Money Blog.

Penny Nickel presents Share a car-- save the earth and your wallet! posted at Money and Values.

Word from (Ninja Pigeon) the sponsors:

Please check out The Under 30 Honor Roll, which was founded by our very own Kira of Penny Foolish. If you're only hearing about this for the first time, we'd appreciate you stopping by and maybe even checking out the forums, which are sadly lacking in posts since the site was moved to its permanent home. Here is a
little more background information on the Honor Roll.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jessica, this is awesome stuff! It's great that everyone has their secret tips on saving money. By the way, I've been reading your blog for a while. Now I have started my own and I hope you can visit and link to it ( http://jen-taylor.blogspot.com/). Thanks!

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love David's article on Budgeting. So many 20-30 year olds have no idea whatsoever how to budget. I had to help a friend write a budget AFTER she had bought a house because she had no idea if she could afford the repayments. Crazy!

Ange.

http://angelarandall.com/

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Breast Cancer under 30
Common Breast Cancer Myths

The first myth pertaining to this disease is that it only affects women.

Second myth that is associated with this disease is that if one has found a lump during an examination, it is cancer.

Third is that it is solely hereditary

The next myth associated with breast cancer is downright ridiculous. Would you believe, that in this day and age, some individuals still think that breast cancer is contagious?

Conversely, some individuals foolishly believe that breast size determines whether or not one gets cancer.

Finally, another myth that is associated with this disease is that it only affects older people. This is not so. Although the chance of getting breast cancer increases with age, women as young as 18 have been diagnosed with the disease.

You can find a number of helpful informative articles on Breast Cancer under 30 at breast-cancer1.com
Breast cancer under 30

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home